Tuesday, June 1, 2010

back in the game

When last I typed, we were in Florida, renting a U-haul, bringing back stuff from my parents. That would be 6 months ago.

Well, we finally made it back. Kidding. Sort of. The return trip, with U-Haul, two kids, sick dog, and sick parents, may rank as one of the worst road trips ever. We spent 24 hours making what used to take Rich and I alone 14 hours to drive.

The final haul: bedroom furniture for Elizabeth, three desks (I don't know why), and at least 6 boxes of stuff.

Those boxes, and some of the furniture, sat in the front hallway for a couple of weeks before the bedroom was set up and the boxes relegated to the deepest, darkest corner of the basement. I'm not even sure now what the boxes contain. There were books - the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden's made it here. Some other books, I think. Boxes from my college days - a fair amount of 'mementos' that can probably be cleared out. Oooh, also the cast from when I broke my arm when I was 8, with all my friends signatures and drawings. And only a faint whiff of smell. The cast will get packed away in my trunk with other 'special' things. If I could keep my mementos to only a (fairly large) trunk I'd be ok. The dollhouse did not come back - it was just too fragile and needed too much work. Another time, maybe.

I haven't decided yet what format I'll take at this point. Getting rid of a number of things per day works, but the accounting grows tedious. I have one small blogging project I'll start tomorrow while I think about it. Maybe a goal of 20 items per week, or something along those lines. As always, ideas are welcome.

4 comments:

Herself said...

20 items a week is A LOT! Aim lower and achieve more. I'm thinking like 2 items a week or if they're small items one shoe box size of the small stuff a week. Plus, if something new comes into the house, something has to leave. So, if you buy a pair of shoes (this is merely an example) you have to give up a pair in return.

Elaine said...

I have an idea! How about trying to clear out 5 square feet a week, with a rule that nothing new can enter the cleared out space unless it actually belongs there. You'd end up with these super clean nooks in your house, and could allocate your projects to what you feel like tackling each week.

Helen said...

So glad you are back blogging!

Thrift Store Mama said...

Glad to see you back !