Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 23 - new (sorta) - and some updates

What: size 8.5 white/pink flip flops
From: Talbots (outlet)
Purchased: ~1998
Cost: $6.50

So 23 days in and I struggle a bit with really casual shoes. We headed out to the baseball park on a 95 degree day and I needed something super easy and cool to wear. I rejected some shoes with heels and was a bit stymied, but then remembered these. I bought them a long time ago at the Talbots Outlet store, on a visit with my friend Kristen. They were marked $26 dollars, but 75% off. I only remembered they were super cheap (in my memory they were $8) - I've never worn them and the price tag was still on! They were a little big, and then I had my orthotic/back issue, so they've been living in a box for the past 12 years or so. I had been thinking about trying to sell them on Craig's List, but they were a great choice. I probably should have sold them, but the challenge had to be met!
--
UPDATES

- Pink sneakers: Here's the thing. People who keep things and people who get rid of things can never really understand each other. I simply cannot get rid of a perfectly good pair of shoes. It makes me slightly anxious (but what if I need them?) to think about discarding perfectly fine anything. And so, if I know you are a non-cluttered person and you say get rid of them with no analysis why, I am sorry to say I pretty much discount your opinion as you'd say that about any pair! I need reasons to get rid of them. TSM hit it - the heel overhang really is an issue. So, um, I will keep thinking about it. Though seriously? That pic from '07? I distinctly recall being dissatisfied with those shoes that day.

- strap sandals: I forgot to put a bottom line. Keeping. I wore them yesterday in the morning to walk to Target. Straps definitely tight in extreme heat, but sandals are cute. And all together now: Not that uncomfortable!

- overall: 23 days, 22 pairs of shoes, 1 definitely donated, 1 needs to be re-heeled, 1 undecided, 0 purchases, though 1 in consideration. And no worries about running out of options.

3 comments:

Mom said...

When you stop and think about it, you are your father's child to some extent. Except he can't throw or give away anything that he thinks he may have a use for in the next 10 or 20 years. Just look at our garage and his workshop!

Thrift Store Mama said...

I love this: "People who keep things and people who get rid of things can never really understand each other. I simply cannot get rid of a perfectly good pair of shoes. It makes me slightly anxious (but what if I need them?)"

Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes.

I have decided that you value having the shoes over having the extra space, which is why I don't say get rid of everything. But I'm serious, you cannot go around with biscuit heel. You just cannot. Think of the lovely woman with the foot 1/2 size smaller than you who would love those shoes.

This is fantastic. Keep it up.

Herself said...

It's true. You need a good reason and no more of the commands from me.
But would it surprise you to hear that I too was once a shoe fanatic? Don't know if I ever counted them but I was a shoe hoarder - I'm pretty light on shoes, am a size 6 (always find shoes in the sales) and it was not unknown for me to pay half my wages on a pair of shoes and eat beans and toast for a month because I had to have them.