Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 12 - extravagance

I’d just like to point out that until this point, my average cost for shoes – 10 pairs to date – is $17.53. I’m helped out a lot by the $6 pairs. I think sometimes of an episode from Sex and the City, when Carrie’s apartment building goes co-op and she doesn’t have the money to buy. Miranda asks about her savings and Carrie says something like, 100 pairs of $400 shoes, that’s my down payment right there! Yes, I have a shoe issue, but when my average price is under $20, it’s not really that much of a problem. Sandals tend to be cheap, and if I were guessing, I’d guess my average price was more like $30-35 (and if you don’t count boots, it might even be a little lower). Sometimes, though, you just have to have an object of beauty, even if it is vastly overpriced.



What: multi-colored platform espadrilles
From: Coach (at Lord and Taylor)
Purchased: summer ‘06
Cost: $85

So this raises my average price from $17 to $23.66. But I had to have them. They are totally impractical and ridiculous, but I love them. LOVE. They make me happy when I look at them, and I did get them on sale (believe it or not). I only wear them to summer gatherings - casual parties, dinners out - and I realized on Saturday that with one child, with Rich along, I could totter on them and leave kid chasing to Rich. With two kids, they are even more impractical. But I love them, they are in great shape, and even though they’re 4 years old, still quite stylish.

But seriously, what idiot pays $85 for espadrilles?

Bottom line: Keeper!

1 comment:

Thrift Store Mama said...

I remember when you got those shoes - you wore them with a denim skirt.