Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 16 - more flats

What: size 8 reddish patterned ballet flats with bow
From: Talbots (outlet)
Purchased: spring ‘09
Cost: ~$20

I used to not wear flats at all – it’s a long story, but I am supposed to wear orthotics, which don’t fit in any shoes except ugly ones, so I rarely wear them. I discovered that if I wore a shoe with a bit of a heel, I didn’t need the orthotics to avoid back pains, which is why nearly every shoe I own has a heel, usually ~2 inches. Which, again, was fine for working in an office, but is a little overkill on the playground. And I also have wide feet, which also means the shoe sometimes has to be larger size to fit in width but then doesn’t fit in length. So I’d never found a flat that was even remotely comfortable, but I saw these in the Outlet and tried them on and they were actually comfortable in an 8. Really comfortable. But I think they were still too expensive, so I kept my eye on them at the outlet and by spring (they were from summer ’08), the cost had dropped into reasonable territory, so I grabbed them. And didn’t wear them for a few months, but started wearing them late summer last year and have nearly worn them out. They are not going to last much longer, but they’re a go-to shoe. I chaperoned Elizabeth’s school trip to the National Aquarium and they were perfect.

Bottom line: Keeper (and I’ve since bought other flats from Talbots, too, as they are sized well for me. Talbots flats are typically priced at $99. Ridiculous. I have three pairs now and the most I paid was $35. They had a cute pink pair with a flower this spring, so I am keeping my eyes open for discounts.).

1 comment:

Thrift Store Mama said...

Who are these people who pay full price for shoes ? Seriously ? I can't even wind up paying full price even when I am desperate and give myself permission to pay full price. They always seem to wind up being on some sort of sale.