Wednesday, June 2, 2010

new (semi-silly) plan

While I decide how to structure my newest efforts at decluttering, I have an interesting idea for blog series/challenge.

So it happens that I like shoes. I got (gently) chided on it in yesterday's comments by Therese.

And, last fall, in the great boot search, TSM also worried about my multiple locations for shoe storage. (Darn it, where ARE those black slouch boots???)

Yes. I fully admit it. I have a shoe thing. Here's the thing: Shoes always fit. Also, if you are shoe adventurous (more on that later), there are bargains galore to be had. A few years ago I counted, and at that time I found, in various locations, over 100 pairs. And since that time I'm sure I've added at least another 25. The thing is, if you buy ten pairs of shoes a year, and you never throw anything out, and you're about to hit your 20th! College! Reunion! that's 200 pairs of shoes right there. So my problem is actually quite modest. I had to throw out a bunch of shoes after leaving grad school in Florida (crappy graduate student house with no AC + Florida humidity + leather = MOLD), so 17 years in DC, let's say 125 pairs of shoes, that's a little over 7 pairs of shoes a year. Sure, there was January '09 when I bought 5 pairs (great shoes, each $20-25), and I am pretty sure I've acquired at least 6 pairs already this year (polka dot rainboots, purple suede, red suede, yellow flip flops, black pumps and I'm sure there's one - Oh, yes, awesome platform bronze strappy sandals that I love, love, love! And, right, also totally impractical, but hot! and reasonably comfortable black strappy high heels to wear to fancy work dinner. So that's already 7 this year, yikes.). It's the new shoes last week that led to this latest challenge.

Rich noticed a new pair of shoes last week - hmm, what's this? Why, quite cute almond toe 2.5 inch heeled pumps! For only $33! A bargain I could not pass up. The thing about buying dirt cheap sale shoes is that you're usually not buying neutral pumps - those are snapped up quickly. No, I'm buying the quirky end of season leftovers in a variety of colors (shoe adventurous!). So when I dress conservatively, I actually usually scramble to find plain shoes and until this last purchase, I simply did not own a pair of plain black pump, which is frankly shocking in a shoe wardrobe of over 100 pairs. I needed those black pumps. Though, they are croc-embossed, so not entirely plain, and almond toe is sometimes a little trendy, but really always a classic.

Anyway, Rich says to me, "you know, I bet even though you have 20 times more shoes than I have, you only wear about the same number as I do."

And he's right - since I'm mostly working from home, I am only wearing the same flip flops and simple shoes most of the time. So, new idea.

I few days later, I said to him, "since you said that about the shoes, it's given me a great idea!"

"Oh no," he says, "I think you've gotten the wrong idea!"

"What? My idea is to challenge myself to wear a different pair of shoes every day!" I cheerily announce.

"Exactly the wrong idea," he groaned. "I was hoping you would take that comment and decide to get rid of the shoes you never wear!"

Humph. That's a terrible idea - at least not without road testing them before hand!

So without further ado, I present June 1st and 2nd shoe choices!

June 1 - OUCH

What: yellow mule sneakers, size 7.5
From: Talbots
Purchased: late 90s, early 00s, during my (mostly futile) phase of phase of looking for comfy slip on sneakers
Cost: under $15

These have been peeking out from under clothes in the closet for months, so I decided they'd kick off the month. I also thought they'd probably end up in a probably discard pile, as I hadn't worn them for years (they were dust covered). But they were cute, and I wasn't sure why I hadn't worn them. After walking Elizabeth to school, I knew why - insane rubbing along the top side of my foot! Giant raw spot on my left foot. I limped home, kicked them off, and went barefoot the rest of the day.

Bottom line: To be discarded! Donate pile (perhaps they will not be quite so hazardous to someone else).

June 2 - Tight, but cute

So, the sore from yesterday's shoes still hurts. A lot. I almost went with one of my standard standbys today, but decided I had to save those until I really needed them. So I dug around a little (pile of shoes by overflowing shoe wardrobe) and found these.


(see that sore on the top part of my foot??!! OUCH!!!)

What: gold 2 inch wedge thong sandals
From: Loft
Purchased: a couple of years ago, maybe summer 08?
Cost: ~$20

I started noticing a couple of years ago that greek sandals were making a comeback. So I was super excited to see these shoes in Loft - they were relatively cheap, and cheaply made (just a step up from flip-flops, really), and I love a metallic shoe (darn, I just remembered I bought a pair of metallic strappy heels also this year, upping my total to 8 already. I really may have a problem - they were cheap, they fit great, and I wasn't sure what I would wear to my work dinner, so I thought metallic strapy heels were a wardrobe staple!). I kept my eyes on them a few weeks until they went on sale and I snapped them up, even though I thought they were still, in my opinion, overpriced. I thought they'd be my go-to shoes that summer. Somehow, though they fit in the store, that strap across the top is just too tight. Not wear an open sore into your foot tight, but leave an imprint on your foot tight. I wore them out to get lunch, and they are cute, and I wish they were more comfortable. Perhaps (famous last words of the shoe addicted) they will eventually loosen up.

Bottom line: not ready to give up on them yet. Will keep and try to wear more often.

4 comments:

Herself said...

I LOVE this idea. I LOVE this post. Brava!

Helen said...

Ditto Therese -- this is a great idea.

You are inspiring me to de-clutter our place.

-- H.

Thrift Store Mama said...

This is hysterical. Love this: "Perhaps (famous last words of the shoe addicted) they will eventually loosen up."

Let me know how that works for you !

Stimey said...

This is probably the best use of blog space I have ever seen in my life. LOVE this.