Friday, June 25, 2010

So where do I keep all these shoes?

After numerous references to storing shoes, I thought I should illustrate my shoe storage system (or lack thereof). I'll be honest: It's really an effort of containment. Let me also guess how many shoes are in each location (I didn't count all of them).

A few years ago I got a shoe storage dresser. It's supposed to neatly hold 24 pairs. I currently have 31 shoved in there.

I stack up boxes next to the shoe thing (10), plus there's a lot of shoes jumbled up on the floor in between the boxes and a jewelry armoire (25?), not to mention stuffed under the armoire.
There's a stack of boxes next to my dresser, not to mention the shoes lined up under the dresser or jumbled by the side (~22):

And another box stack between the radiator and window (11):
The closet has a hanging shoe bag (~10):
There are also boxes along the top shelf of the closet (11):
And shoe underbed thing that contains brown shoes only (11). There also an unphotographed boot box under the bed (3):
And finally, the closet in Elizabeth's room. There's an overdoor shoe thing-y (13), plus another hanging shoe thing in the closet itself (10).
I really need to get rid of the shoes in Elizabeth's room (either by getting rid of them or storing them someplace else!). I haven't worn any of the over door shoes in years. Most are fall/winter shoes, actually.

There are other shoes on the floor of the closet (~10).

So let's see, that makes 31+10+25+22+11+10+11+11+3+13+10+10=

Yikes.

167.

Whoa. I really did not think it was that many. I did an official count about 4 years ago and got the 125 number. So, ~10 new pairs a year since then, so yep. Wow. I need to get more serious about getting rid of shoes.

I really need to stop buying shoes. And yet I'm still thinking about those brown polka dot ones. Which I do not need unless I start worknig in an office, and even then, I do not need them. I suppose I should feel badly about money. But, you know what, I really cannot feel bad about spending what amounts to $30 a month on a new purchase for me.

There are definitely shoes to cull in this mix, so stay tuned next week for giveaways (though I seem to have blog friends with freakishly small feet) and more for the donation pile.

3 comments:

Stimey said...

Wow. This is truly awe inspiring.

Elaine said...

That's a lot of space.

Thrift Store Mama said...

With our travel I got behind on my blog reading. I could feel my heart constricting as I looked at the photos. Con.strict.ing.

Despite this quote "I really need to stop buying shoes. And yet I'm still thinking about those brown polka dot ones. Which I do not need unless I start worknig in an office, and even then, I do not need them. "

And this quote: "I really need to get rid of the shoes in Elizabeth's room (either by getting rid of them or storing them someplace else!)."

I don't actually get the sense that piles of boxes stacked up in your bedroom bother you, or do they ?