Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 18 - slip ons

What: size 8 slip on tennis shoes
From: Ralph Lauren (bought at Syms)
Purchased: May '10
Cost: $15

So when I first started this shoe blogging, I thought I had purchased 6 pairs of shoes already this year. But then I remembered a 7th, and then I remembered an 8th. Well, guess what? Actually 9. And I'm fairly confident that's it, but I gave up shopping for Lent! Successfully! I did not purchase anything for 6 weeks, except for one small slip up early on of some leftover, super cheap valentine supplies stashed away for next year. Unlike TSM and her compact, this 6 week hiatus did not result in me re-evaluating my life. It was a good break, and I did save money. And since then, I have thought more about the want versus need before purchasing. Though lately I'm big on the wants.

But that means, in 5 months - say 21 weeks, minus 6 weeks for Lent - 15 weeks - I purchased 9 pairs of shoes. That does not seem possible. But yet I have the physical evidence right here. I did total up how much each cost, and even with 2 pairs purchased for $54 each, the grand total is $277, or $31 average cost. Not bad, really. I cyber-stalked two pairs of suede pumps (awesome purple! and very cool red!) that I am super excited about for fall (I stalked them all throughout Lent (and they were on my "lenten exception list" but never got cheap enough to pull the trigger), but waited til late April and then early May to get both for under $35). Bought the yellow flip flops and still unworn black pumps that inspired this whole thing on the same trip in late May. The rain boots in early February. The gold strappy sandals in late April, the bronze platforms in May, the black strappy sandals in early May. And these slip-ons in late May. Seriously, I cannot buy any more shoes this year. Because friends, I have not even sweated a bit in 18 days of choosing a different shoe. Not even had to think twice.

Anyway, these. I am perpetually on a slip-on tennis shoe quest. AK Anne Klein used to make an awesome one - I had them in red and pink and still have both pairs (of course) but they are in sad, sad shape. The red ones are only worn for painting and house projects. Nothing beats a pair of slip on sneaks by the front door, to, well, slip on and run outside, especially after dinner with the kids. But I have a hard time finding comfortable ones that don't result in hurting back (see orthotic issue). I bought a pair last year I had to give away to a nanny on our street because they resulted in incapacitating back pain. Yes, I could keep my athletic shoes with the orthotics by the door, but lacing up shoes ruins the whole slip on ease.

I had a work dinner in mid-May that required a new dress (ok, did not require, but it was originally going to be black tie, then got changed to formal business). We were in a shopping center with a Syms to pick up beer making supplies for Rich and I said, let me just run into that Syms to look at their dresses. Found a formal dress I sort of liked and bought it, but ended up not needing formal. When I went to return it, of course I wandered through the store, and found myself in the shoe department (actually looking for low-heeled black sandals!). And I found these marked down to $15. I debated for quite a while but finally decided to buy. They do not have quite enough support (which means I am still on my quest to replace those awesome AK Anne Klein sneaks) but they will more than do. Wore them to Elizabeth's end of school year preK picnic. Perfect.

Bottom line: Keeper, but the quest continues

4 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

What ? I wasn't inspiring enough to make you change your life ? Nuts.

I'm surprised you could even find slip on sneakers these days.

(Hey Jen - did you catch the hidden meaning there ?)

Laurie said...

If you need to quench your shoe thirst, and also are trying to shop less, you can take some of your less shopping endowed friends out. I think I own 20 pair of shoes and wear 4 of them nearly constantly. Lame, I know.

Elaine said...

How on Earth do you possibly remember the cost of every pair of shoes? That is incredible.

Herself said...

I agree with Elaine. Is this yoru super power?