Monday, March 7, 2011

January/February tally

Holey moley. I am officially SICK TO DEATH of my ridiculous shoe collection. SICK. TO. DEATH.

AND, I went around to all my various stash places and I think it's possible there's another full month to go! I definitely counted at least 25 more. TSM says she's coming over April 8th for the grand shoe set up (wanna come? we'll need the help!). Is it possible for me to get through them all before the 8th? I think so. I shall soldier on.

In the month of January/February, I wore/examined 30 pairs of shoes from my collection, at an estimated total cost of $1077, or average cost of $35.90. The boots killed my average this month. Of those, I am keeping 25, though I am seriously on the fence with 3 of them. 5 pairs are being discarded, with one of those pairs already in the trash.

So, I've been blogging shoes for 273 days.

I have shown you 157 pairs of my shoes. I am keeping 133 (!) (on the fence about 9 of those, though I think I gave my mom one of those 9, I need to go back and check), trashing 4, donating 20.

So keeping 133 and getting rid of 24 is a cull rate of 13%. (Damn, my cull rate dropped - my goal remains 20%, which means I have stacks to get rid of, and my fence sitting isn't helping me any).

And, I estimate that over the past 17 years or so I've spent $4,474.75 on shoes, or an average cost of $28.50 per shoe, or roughly $265/year on my little hobby.

So when I first started this and counted my shoes, I got up to 167. Turns out I was off by at least 10%! It's looking more like 180, total (do you know what 180 means? It means if I were a school teacher, I could wear a different pair of shoes for every single day school was in session for an entire academic year! Good gravy!). That is a freakishly large number of shoes. And even if I cull 20%, I'd still have at least 144 shoes! Crazy. Cray-zee. At this point, quite honestly, I'm forgetting what I've already written about and what still needs to be documented. You know what I want to do? I want to stop photographing these and just pretend I do not have all these excess shoes. But that doesn't help with the clutter. I'm going to get through this, and I'm going to have a clearer, more focused idea of what shoes I own.

Sigh. Onward!

5 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

April 8th baby. April 8th. Have some diet coke ready for me. We'll reach that 20% and then some.

Oh, and you said, not us !

"That is a freakishly large number of shoes."

Thrift Store Mama said...

Oh, and you need to start mulling over how you want to sort. I would suggest: Season, then Type, then Color but given your penchants for liking certain colors at certain times, it could also be Season, then Color, then Type.

Thrift Store Mama said...

I already have an idea for how to organize after you sort and cull further. I need to write it here so I don't forget: Separate all season shoes from strictly spring/summer and fall/winter. All season are more easily accessible than the strictly seasonal.

Michelle said...

Holy moly! I wouldn't even know where to store that many shoes! I have ... far fewer. Like not even the 20% you're hoping to cull :) You can do it!

Laurie said...

You can do it Susan! You'll love the extra space when you clear them out. And, anything that you're on the fence about, I say toss. You have so many more that you solidly want to keep.