Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week 2 - Wednesday chicken

Last night's recipe was Red Currant-Glazed Chicken with Spinach.

Was the recipe easy to follow?
Pretty easy. Though Wednesday is soccer practice until 6, so it's always a rush to get dinner on the table. This was a longer recipe to prepare (35 minutes) which was a pain. If not for this challenge, last night would have definitely been a heat up leftovers dinner night. Luckily, Rich got home before I did so he was able to get things started, otherwise we wouldn't have eaten til 7.

Did it taste good?
Sadly, no. I think it was a couple of things. When you buy chicken parts, I've always been disappointed by the chicken breasts - they are always so huge and just taste off to me. I need some sort of sauce. And in this case, the glaze was on the skin, which neither of us ate, so I felt like the glaze imparted no flavor. Maybe buying more natural chicken, with smaller pieces, would have had better flavor, or if the glaze went under the skin or I don't know what. I really didn't like it at all, unlike the Real Simple blogger.

Adjustments?
Last night was apparently low carb night, with a menu of chicken with a side of spinach. We also made yellow rice.

Kid friendly?
Yeah. They liked their chicken legs. They both love yellow rice. Neither liked the spinach, shockingly.

Would I make it again?
Nope. I might glaze boneless skinless chicken breasts and grill then. Maybe. But I'd probably just marinade them in Criollo, my favorite. I cook spinach like this every once in a while - based on one of my favorite dishes at Jaleo, so that will stay.

No comments: