Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week 2 - Tuesday meatballs


Wow, am so far behind!! Tuesday's meal was Lamb Meatballs with Couscous and Feta. Yeah, I just wasn't going there - the recipe itself and the Real Simple blogger both talked about subbing with beef, which I did. But to change it up a little, I bought the "meatloaf mix," mostly beef but a little pork and veal, too.

Oh, this reminds me, I forgot talk about shopping this week - the total was $137, and that included the basics like milk, oj, bread, side vegetables (frozen and fresh), fruit, a few snacks, and Sunday's dinner of pot roast. Typically, I would have bought a fairly large roast so we'd have it for leftovers another night or two during the week, but this time I bough the smallest roast I could find, and I've had leftovers twice for lunch and there's probably one more lunch size serving left.

Anyway, meatballs.

Was the recipe easy to follow?
This is a perfect example of a how much I'm learning with this challenge. This meal took less than 20 minutes from start to finish. So incredibly easy. I've always thought meatballs were complicated to make and cook evenly but these were a piece of cake (and it helped Rich was home so he actually put them together). I'd also never have thought to have meatballs without tomato sauce.

Did it taste good?
I actually had a PTA meeting that night, so after getting dinner together I took off. I tasted a meatball before I left and it was tasty. Rich thought they were a little bland, but overall he reported it was good.

Adjustments?
Just the meatloaf mix - oh and also it needed a side of green beans for vegetables.

Kid friendly?
Yep, though couscous, while super easy to make, really sticks to kids' clothes and kind of gets everywhere. Elizabeth loooooves feta, which has always surprised me, but Andrew liked it too.

Would I make it again?
Definitely. So fast! Hmm, though it would depend on Rich's presence for the meatball mixing/shaping.

No comments: