Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Week 1 - Tuesday pasta

Last night was supposed to be penne with tomatoes, eggplant, and mozzarella. Here's the thing: I hate eggplant. So, two days in and we're already 2 for 2 in making changes. Rich suggested subbing zucchini, which worked fine. This is similar to recipes I used to make all the time when I was a vegetarian and still often do. Easy, fast, tasty, relatively healthy, and filling.


Was the recipe easy to follow?
Super easy. Definitely a 30 minute meal.

Did it taste good?
It was really good. Nice mix of flavors. I've never added mint to a pasta dish like this, but it added good flavor. And I never would have added red pepper without the recipe, but that gave it a little kick without making it spicy - the kiss of death for Elizabeth.

Kid friendly?
Yeah, mostly. They ate the pasta and some tomato and cheese. I think they got some nutrients beyond plain pasta (sometimes I use whole wheat pasta, but honestly I grew up on plain pasta and just prefer it). I keep offering zucchini and they reject it every time. I keep trying, though (I'm actually not wild about zucchini, either, but I eat it).

Adjustments?
The recipe calls for 1/4 cup olive oil to sautee the eggplant (in a non-stick pan!). I never cook eggplant, but isn't it known for soaking up oil? Why so much oil? I sprayed the pan with Pam and sprinkled in a little olive oil for flavor. Also, had olives left over from the day before so chopped them up and added. Yum.

Would I make it again?
Sure. This was a tasty variation on a pretty standard meal. We need to grow mint in the yard - I've always been afraid of it taking over the garden, but it's really a shame to buy mint when it is so easy to grow.

2 comments:

Kristin Appenbrink said...

So glad you're blogging the month of dinners. They look great so far!

Herself said...

Grow mint in a container pot for sure. And when you have too much - invite me over and I'll make mojitos.