Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 2 - Friday pasta


Yikes, I am super far behind. Friday's meal was supposed to be ravioli with brussel sprouts and bacon. I say supposed to be because somehow I flaked when shopping and grabbed dried tortelloni instead of friesh or frozen ravioli. No idea why.

Was the recipe easy to follow?
Super easy and quick.

Did it taste good?
Delish.

Adjustments?
Well, the tortelloni, which I guess I grabbed because E&A are big fans. A is under 2, so we avoid nuts, which isn't that hard becasue neither Rich nor I really like most nuts cooked in things, so we left out the pecans. Which in our nut-hating opinion improved the dish immensely. Also. Why in the world would you get rid of all the bacon fat and even wipe out the pan, only to add oil to sautee the brussel sprouts? Ok, well, maybe it's healthier from a saturated fat perspective, but obviously the recipe writer does not keep a can of bacon fat in the freezer for exactly these sorts of purposes. I spooned out the excess bacon fat (and put it in the freezer), but yum. Seriously, why would you not use the baon fat? Madness.

Kid friendly?
Definitely

Would we make it again?
Absolutely! We have a favorite brussel sprout recipe with pistachios (one of our nut-hating exceptions) and a lot of lemon juice. But this might even be better. Well, heck, anything cooked with bacon is better.

No comments: