Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Week 1 - Friday steak


Wow, I am behind on posting, thanks to a busy weekend. Friday's recipe was Steak With Roasted Carrots and Onions. But, it had been a long week and we decided to go out to dinner, and so had the steak Saturday night. Don't get me wrong, I am critical of the monthly meal plan because they never acknowledge in the text that it is only 20 recipes. Everyone needs a night off from cooking, so were I an editor at Real Simple, I would have added a simple sentence that read something like, We've planned 5 meals a week for you, leaving a night for going out and a Sunday supper of your choosing.

Anyway, Saturday's dinner. Yum.

Was the recipe easy to follow?
Super easy and fast.

Did it taste good?
Delish. Our only problem was that our steaks were thick and had been frozen (with a nod to food safety, Real Simple recommends you freeze the meats you buy over the weekend for those meals that come later in the week) and might not have been fully thawed. So they took longer to cook, resulting in burned bits in the pan. I should have made the wine sauce in another pan, because even though I scraped most of the burnt out, the sauce still had a slightly bitter burned taste, though it was still good. The roasted vegetables were great.

Adjustments?
I had leftover potatoes from Monday so roasted those with the carrots. This meal was apparently the low carb option for the week, as the only side was supposed to be roasted carrots and onions. The Real Simple blogger said she wished she had rice, so I prepped some brown rice to accompany. The only other funny thing is Real Simple recommends a red wine with this recipe, but the ingredients call for white wine sauce. So we drank white wine with the steak. Still good!

Kid friendly?
For whatever unknown reason, Elizabeth has never liked any orange vegetables - no carrots or sweet potatoes. But otherwise, they loved it.

Would we make it again?
Absolutely.

1 comment:

Thrift Store Mama said...

This sounds good. I love brown rice with red meat, especially steak and especially if I can get some steak juice onto the rice.