Tuesday, September 21, 2010

September 5 - black sandals

What: size 8 low heels black sandals with a bow
From: Talbots (outlet)
Purchased: ~2004
Cost: $24

I don't actually remember how much these cost, but they were an outlet purchase so not too pricey. More than almost any other pair of shoes I own, I wish I had 2 or 3 pairs of these waiting in the wings. Because they were a perfect shoe for a business casual office. I wear sandals a lot in the summer, eve when I worked in an office, and sandals with no backs make that flip flip flip noise as you walk, so these were a great shoe for the summer.

I almost wore these early on in the bloggy challenge, but then couldn't find one of the shoes (later found in Andrew's room) and went with a pink sandal instead. So I had almost forgotten I hadn't worn them, but saw them and even though were were headed out to a nature center for a birthday party - one that included a nature walk - I still grabbed them. They are so comfy. And I just think that little bow/tie in front adds something ladylike to fairly basic shoes. So I wore them this spring with a dress that has a small bow, and I wore them all the time back in the office job days with a black and white flowered skirt, a pink shirt, and black jacket. Love them.

But also, have worn them out.
The fronts have gotten quite worn. I think the difference between me and people who have a healthier relationship with stuff is that the healthier people get rid of their things that have become worn out. I really, with over 150 pairs of shoes, should not be wearing shoes that show this much wear in the front. I should get rid of these, shouldn't I? Do you get rid of shoes when they show wear? Is that the rational response? These are genuine questions. Because what I do, especially for shoes I have loved, is push them to the back of the closet so as not to finally wear them completely out and then I'm left with too many pairs of shoes I never wear.

I've had these reheeled once, and the nail heads are poking their way through the worn through rubber again. I do not think there is anything that can be done about the amount of wear in the front. But yet, I do not have a replacement for these shoes. I am actually rather thin on blasic black shoes. I should retrench my purchases and only purchase things that fill that specific niche - low heeled black sandals and shoes. Though all (well, most) of my black heels are not in great shape. I need a casual pair for summer, a slightly dressier, ladylike pair to replace these, and a slightly higher heel for office professional - not high heels, but a 2-3 inch pair comfy to wear but very professional. Hmmm. Will have to put more thought into this. But the trick, I think, is getting rid of those shoes that don't quite work right anymore, either because they look worn or they're outdated.

I was thinking about these shoes (or rather, this blog post) last night. I bet these are down to pennies a wear at this point.

Bottom line: I need to hear that the rational typical thing to do is get rid of (and throw away, not donate) shoes that are this worn. But I will probably hold onto them until I buy their replacement.

1 comment:

Thrift Store Mama said...

Oh my gosh - so many things to comment on that I'm jumping up and down all excited.

1. "Ladylike" should be used far more often these days.

2. "I . . . should not be wearing shoes that show this much wear in the front." Print this out and tape to your shoe closet.

3. "specific niche" Thinking of things in a specific niche really helps me make purchasing decisions.

4. "The rational typical thing to do is get rid of (and throw away, not donate) shoes that are this worn." Trust me, the people at the thrift store do not want them. We have standards too. If it was a pair of worn sneakers I would say to throw it in one of those bins that ships things to third world countries, but I'm not sure these shoes would be helpful there.