Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 35 - sorting and organizing

I've got a ton of clothes piled on the bed in the spare room. The room my parents are moving into on Monday. Two sets of clothes - mine that are too small and/or off season, so I need a place to store until spring when I fit back in them (yes. I can.), and hand-me-downs from friends that need sorting and storing.

The funny thing about this room, if anything in the clutter realm is funny, is that before my parents visited in September, the room was completely full of clutter. We probably cleared 250 things out of that room alone in late August/early September. So my decluttering has been going on longer than documented. Someplace shoved in my desk is the receipt from Goodwill with a complete listing of the contents of over 8 bags of clothing alone dropped off. My sister sorted through my oldest clothes with me, which helped a lot. Though she could not convince me to get rid of my much-loved hot pink linen suit. With shoulder pads. And matching polyester blue/fuschia floral scarf. And fake vinyl chanel-type purse. And pink pumps from Payless. Oh, how I loved that suit circa 1990. You can't part with a treasure like that.

Anyway, the room is still filled, but it's getting more organized. I need a place to store hand me downs in the 6-24 month age range, but all the 0-3 month are ready for the baby dresser. So that's some progress, but nothing to count today.

In other news, the hard thing about people who gave you stuff also reading the blog is avoiding offending them when you get rid of gifts. Luckily my parents need a new doorbell, so the one they gave us isn't going to Goodwill, it's heading back home with them. And our nanny was pleased as punch to get a blender!

2 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

I have a hot pink fake linen blazer that I also refuse to part with. It's in a box in the attic labeled "CTDF" - clothes that don't fit! Also in the box is the outfit I was wearing the day I met David.

Jen said...

Although I am a big fan of everything 80's, that suit takes up a LOT of space in the closet given the size of the shoulder pads. That, along with Susan's FIRST SUIT EVER that our mom bought for her c. 1986 need to be put in a box labeled "NA" for "Never Again".