Monday, November 10, 2008

Day 33 - tackling the basement

After getting E down for bed, Rich and I headed down to the basement for 30 minutes of work. An hour later, we have a satisfying pile in the back, and definite space cleared out. There's still much to be done, but it is nice to see progress being made.

But first, before outlining the accomplishments, anyone know what kind of plant this is? (the one on the left, not the orchid)

Ugly is what it is. I bought it in 2004, and it was a nice little tropical bush that had a flower or two. Then it just started to grow, and lose leaves, and now it's just these spindly weird branches with only two little leaves at the top. And it just keeps growing, and I keep watering, and you know what? I hate it and want to throw it out. Is there any hope for it? Or should I just be heartless and toss?

Oh, and also, I did take an after pic of that junk space in the kitchen. Much, much nicer now:

Today's accomplishments: pictured above. The solo box is now topped with another box that only had a broken vase in it. Broken in 1998. I'm never going to fix it. There's more random trash in the solo box, but I won't even count it. Sort of working clockwise - a doorbell for donation, an expresso machine for donation, an old blender for donation, a bag of old sandpaper for trash, some old plastic cups for trash, an old tall light of my sister's (I'm sure she's forgotten it's here - if you want it, claim it before the end of the week!), an empty box (trash), an old etarge, a wine shipping container (trash), stacked on top of 5 plastic catering trays (trash), and then in the very center, 5 gift boxes (trash!). I have stacks and stacks of gift boxes, reused every year. Can trash 5 dusty dirty ones! The trash will go out tomorrow night; the donation stuff (which is piling up) will be dropped off Friday.

Total: 21

2 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

These quick passes in the basement are turning out pretty well for you. Trash the plant. Just trash it.

Jen said...

I'm going to go with thanks, but no thanks. :) See you in a week!