Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November 30 - I love my clodhoppers

What: size 8 wide, umm, I'm not even sure how to describe these. Loafers?
From: Naturalizer (outlet)
Purchased: October '03 - possibly '04, but I am fairly certain 03
Cost: $10

Oh these shoes make me laugh. My friend KG suggested we take advantage of a mid week day off and drive to Rehoboth for some shopping. I encouraged her to buy a gorgeous dress at Ann Taylor that she still wears. I got pink gloves at JNY, and I really think I got at least one other pair of shoes, but am not sure which ones now, so maybe I did not. I got a great jean skirt, and a cool cord skirt. It was a good shopping day.

You know what, it was 2004. I checked - I had Kanye West's The College Drop Out, and she had LL Cool J's The DEFinition, and we listened to both several times on the drive down and back. And The DEFinition wasn't released until August '04. OK, glad we cleared that up.

Anyway, near the end of the day we hit Naturalizer and I was going through the discount racks when I saw these and popped them on. KG immediately said, take those clodhoppers off! But I was smitten. Yes, they were ugly, but kind of in a vaguely cool-ish way, and best of all they were CHEAP. And I had nothing like them. KG was - and still is - appalled by them. She brings it up to this day. I completely concede they are not stylish, but my point was they had a niche and were a good buy.

And sure enough, on my maternity leave with E? I wore these shoes nearly every freaking day. The per wear cost of these is less than penny. The bottoms are also getting quite worn, though, the rubber tread wearing smooth, so they won't be so dependable for much longer. They've got some wear left, though.

I, um, actually haven't worn them in a while because, well, I can't believe I am admitting this, but they were once pooped on by Aggie. One night, suffering from intestinal distress, the poor dog went into our closet and pooped. We were not happy, but there were no lsating damage. I cleaned them off but somehow the magic was gone, so they've been under my dresser for a couple of years. But, I was pleasantly surprised by how comfy they are, and on a crappy day, they are great to wear with jeans and a sweatshirt.

So, bottom line: Keeper

No comments: