Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November 15 - my mother made me do it

What: size 8 grey croc ankle boots with 2.5 inch heel
From: Talbots (outlet)
Purchased: November 10, 2010
Cost: $35

Folks, meet shoe purchase #20 for 2010. I seriously cannot believe I have purchased 20 pairs of shoes this year. And I can't believe I bought these, even though I love them. First, on November 10 I was feeling lousy with what was about to turn into a raging kidney infection. Plus, I was wearing crappy shoes. Add in I had just gotten a notice that the outlet store as having its seasonal sale with an extra 10% off, plus my mom had given me a gift card to Talbots and you have a perfect storm.

I tried these on on a whim. I am seriously craving a pair of grey shooties. I haven't been able to find any I really like and are affordable, though. So I slipped these on at the outlet and whaddya know, they felt super comfy, and looked sooo much more stylish with my dress pants than my blah easy spirit shoes. They were $78, 50% off, plus an extra 10% off, and I had a $25 gift card, which meant $10 out of pocket. After thinking about it for a while, I texted a couple of people. My friend TSM replied: was there ever any doubt you would get them? My sister, on the other hand, replied: I do not approve of this purchase. My sister, you see, knows I really, really want grey shooties. Ankle boots are not shooties. You wear them totally differently, and my sister knew I was subbing one desire for something I didn't deeply desire, thus leaving the deep desire unfulfilled.

Shooties are hot right now as a look with skirts and tights. Since they end at the ankle, you can wear a skirt. Ankle boots, on the other hand, end just below your calf, cutting off your leg visually at a thick point, so you cannot wear them with skirts. Only pants. I seriously debated for a long time in the store carrying these around. I knew I'd have to write about it here, you see. But, as you can see, they now belong to me. As TSM said, despite great internal (and external!) debate, there really wasn't much doubt.

Prior to my shoe challenge, I would have purchased these and then worn them all November and throughout the winter, pushing other shoes aside. And, since I am writing this in early December, but backdating to November, I can tell you that's exactly what I've done. I freaking love these boots. I was sick the weekend of the 12th, and still felt awful the 15th, but went to a job interview and wore these (with black pants, black shell, and green suit jacket with grey stitching). A man in the elevator complimented them! I only left the house 3 other times the rest of the next week, and wore these boots each time (with jeans). Love, love, love them. Excellent purchase. Super comfortable, looks great with professional or casual clothes. I'm going to have to discard more shoes so that I can wear these more often. Thanks Mom!

Bottom line: keeper!

But I still crave shooties.

2 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

I happen to be in the market for a pair of black heeled ankle boots, and I LOVE these.

I gotta tell you, I've never seen a shootie up close and personal with a skirt, but I have a hard time picturing that it would look good on anyone who isn't tall and willowy. This is why I will not purchase any shooties !

I seriously laughed out loud when you texted me because I KNEW you were going to get them. Glad they turned into being a great find !

Job interview ? It's been a long time since we've chatted !!!

Elaine said...

Ha! I visited Ellen that day and she told me about the text. I knew as soon as she told me the shoes would be yours.