Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 21 - green from Ebay

What: size 8, 3.5 inch green/gold patent wedges with woven heel
From: AK Anne Klein (EBAY!)
Purchased: I thought '03 or '04, but it turns out to be '07-'08
Cost: $45

So, these have now shaken my confidence in my memory. I was sure I had seen these shoes in '03 or '04, when I bought the pink and black matching pairs at Lord & Taylor. I was sure of it. In my memory, I had bought those two shoes a couple of weeks apart, had tried on these in white both trips, but when I went back for the white shoes, they were gone. So I typed the shoe name into google and lo and behold, found someone selling a never before worn pair on EBay in my size. But I just decided to confirm by checking my paypal account, which I almost never use, and I saw they were purchased in spring 2008. So, my memory of when I got them is faulty, but where I got them is still accurate. How weird.

Anyway, I definitely saw these first at Lord and Taylor, and tried them on in white, liked them but bought something else I can't remember (this is going to bug me til I figure it out). Kept thinking about them, though, and went back, but they were gone. I did have an AK Anne Klein phase in '07-'08. Hmm. Anyway, I did google them and did find them in green, which as we know I have have a weird compulsion to buy. But- this part I do remember clearly. At L&T, I could have grabbed them for about $35. On ebay, they were being sold for something like $50, plus $10 shipping. Which was too high, especially considering I had missed my chance at dirt cheap. So I watched them. For 6 months or so - from the August spotting til March. And by the stat counter, I was the only person watching them. First he dropped shipping to $8, then the cost to $45, then shipping to $5, then the shoes themselves to $40, so I finally grabbed them at $45 total. My one and only purchase from ebay.

I do love these shoes. But they really are too high. I saw my friend Amy G yesterday and we were talking shoes and she complained about the trend to 4 inch heels. I thought I was the only one! I cannot wear 4 inch heels. No one really can wear - and move around effectively - in 4 inch heels. 3.5 is my max, and even then I am toddling a bit. I had a fair amount of walking to do, and manged it fine, but walked to lunch with a male colleague and he had to slow his pace for me to keep up. 2.5 is the ideal heel height for me. It's a great height. Still stylish, but perfectly maangeable. I can run in 2.5 inch heels (not fast, but still a run without fear of breaking my ankle). I've been looking around at other shoe blogs and most specialize in the extreme heel designer arena. (heck, Oprah famously wears Louboutins on camera, but she walks to the studio in slippers and only puts on the heels once she is seated!) I definitely am perfectly happy in my niche of wearable shoes.

Bottom line: keeper. Love these.

1 comment:

Herself said...

My limit is 3-inch heels. But much more comfortable in 2 or lower.