Monday, July 12, 2010

July 10 - rainy days

What: Size 7 black polka dot rainboots
From: Target
Purchased: February 12, 2010
Cost: $25

The first pair of shoes I bought in 2010 - a necessary purchase. My hiking boots shredded - just fell apart - two years ago after many years of great wear. I really need another pair, but the need was never really pressing - until the DC area received an unholy amount of snow, first in December 09, then in February 10. With Andrew so small, I haven't needed to spend much time outside in snow, but February of this year meant I desperately needed something.

Why? Because in the city, people shovel walks. And the city plows. But that means there is a barrier of snow when you need to cross a street - shovelers generally do not shovel out to the plowed area, and plows don't come all the way to the sidewalks. So, to cross the street, you must clamber over a snow bank, piled high with both shoveled and plowed snow. All this foot traffic eventually wears walkways through the snow, but those paths are first slushy and then watery areas to navigate. It's horrible. The day we were finally able to leave the house, there was a 6 foot wide puddle to navigate by the Target. So then you have to go back to clambering over the snow banks, or clinging to the edge of the snow to avoid the water.

I took myself off to Target and up to the shoe department, where I found precisely two piars of boots left, and another woman in the aisle reaching for one of them. So I grabbed the last pair, saw they were 7s, and thought it was worth a shot. They kinda sorta fit, and given the need, I left Target wearing them, and then wore them for short periods of time over the rest of Snowmageddon.

Wore them on Saturday given the morning of rain. I hate these boots. They are not comfortable at all - too tight. Size 7s just aren't wide enough, though they fit in length. It's not like you wear rainboots for hours at a time, though, so until I can get a good pair of hiking/all weather boots, I'm stuck with them.

$25 is not much money. But if I get rid of these boots, I am essentially admitting I wasted $25, which I hate to do. I guess I did not waste the money as I did wear the boots to get out and around in the snow. But still, I can't get rid of them even though I hate them because my right foot fell asleep due to constriction! Must shop for new pair of sturdy, comfortable boots, until then, these will stick around.

Botom line: keeper, for now

3 comments:

Elaine said...

These are definitely not you, but at some point, function has to win. Although, I'm not sure how functioning they are if they don't fit. But, whatever, a girl needs rainboots. When you ditch these, call me. Too small for you might = right size for me!

Thrift Store Mama said...

I hate those giant puddles. They are also 8 inches deep which you never know until you step in them.

Jen said...

I, too, own these boots! Mine are very narrow too, and I have skinny feet so if I think they are narrow they are NARROW. But, I love them anyway. And so do my students, which make them a definite keeper in my book. :)