Friday, December 3, 2010

December 2 - so I keep these too, I guess

What: size 7 duck shoes
From: who knows
Purchased: ~1986
Cost: free to me

I've had these shoes since high school. My friends at college, especially Kdot, used to laugh at me when I wore them. Because my foot is wide, and these are size 7, Kdot would say these made my foot look absurdly small, while simultaneously making my foot appear as wide as it is long.

I continued to wear them anyway.

They've been in the closet in E's room for years. I've been convinced for years they were too small, but couldn't bear to part with them because they made me smile. (My tendency to imbue objects with memories disturbs me.) I think my mom has said she'll take them on a couple of occasions, but they've remained. December 2 was a nice day, after two crappy days, but I pulled these out, thinking they'd go in the discard pile and I could wear my grey boots. I did wear my grey boots, but surprisingly, wearing thin trouser socks, these things actually fit. Well, that settles that, then. There's no way I can get rid of shoes that make me smile if they actually still fit. Whether I'll wear them much remains to be seen. Actually I did wear them for years, and the bottom tread is really wearing, so they don't have much life left. But a lot of smiles.

Bottom line: I am pathetically weak and destined for a life of hoarding, or perhaps death by falling shoe stacks, but these stay

1 comment:

Thrift Store Mama said...

Oh Lordy - I got up early to post some things on Craig's List and I'm reading your blog instead. This made me laugh out loud: "Bottom line: I am pathetically weak and destined for a life of hoarding, or perhaps death by falling shoe stacks, but these stay."

Dude, your blog, your life, don't apologize. This is your crazy thing - we all have them, in my case I happen to have two.