Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August 16 - (fake) Crocs!

What: orange fake crocs
From: LL Bean (the rehoboth outlet)
Purchased: ~04, possibly '05
Cost: $15

My orange fake crocs! Oh how ugly, and yet comfortable. You know how I once said the contrary to conventional wisdom, bargain shopping could put you ahead of a trend? These are a perfect example. Crocs first came out in 2002, mass produced in 2003. I found these at the LL Bean outlets in 2004, maybe 2005, and sure enough, they are darn comfortable. So I decided to grab them - I love a slip on casual shoe to keep by the door to pop outside. Loved them. Wore them all the time, on maternity leave and on weekends (with socks!) the first year of Elizabeth's life.

They are pretty close to actual Crocs. LL Bean actually had to redesign them the following season, and now no longer carries them. But this pair I got at the outlet put my right on trend. Then, the Croc backlash started right around 2007. Company stock price crashed - earnings were down - after all, if you make an indestructable shoe, who needs to buy more than one pair? Plus, they are really ugly. I mean really. I've come to my senses and only wear at appropriate times - gardening, popping outside to take out the trash, as slippers, at the pool, water park, or at the beach, as I did last week. Perfect uses for a utilitarian shoe. Crocs have come out with slightly more stylish, less bulky options, though I've never tried any.

On a side note, I love Crocs as kids shoes - super cute. I especially like the crocs with fleece lining, and buy them for E and A, though often off brand ones. For whatever reason, they stay well on kids feet, they clean easily, and let's face it, they are just comfy. Not allowed in most schools, but a perfect summer sandal or more substantial casual almost slipper-like shoe in the winter.

Bottom line: keeper. Infrequent, specific wear only!

1 comment:

Kdot said...

Oh, my eyes! Say it ain't so :) My kids, however, do happily wear Crocs and I believe one day they will be a pop culture time frame of reference- along the lines of the Mork from Ork suspenders. They might ask another, "Did you wear Crocs as a kid?" If yes, then must be the same age. They will look at old pics and think, cute dress..but with the Crocs!? What was my mom thinking?!