Tuesday, November 3, 2009

headed down the wrong path

So, in the Sunday ads we got the big toy catalog from Toys 'R Us. Elizabeth decided to look through it and point out good ideas for Christmas. And her attention was completely taken by the dollhouses. Great, I thought, a giant piece of plastic that costs over $100. Can't wait.

Later in the day we went to a party and there was a huge dollhouse in the playroom. And guess where Elizabeth spent all her time? I stood there watching her thinking about the reality of buying a dollhouse for Christmas, when someone asked me if I had ever had a dollhouse. Lightbulb! Indeed, I did once have a dollhouse. When I was around 10 or so, I got a big wooden dollhouse, that we were going to decorate and finish off. Uh, though we never did. But it is there, someplace in my parent's house. It's big, it's wooden, it's designed to be finished with paint and little wallpaper and twee little real dollhouse furniture. Hey, I think I did actually get some furniture, too, throughout the years, so there's probably someplace some furniture.

We're off to my parent's for Thanksgiving, and our plan is to pick up my old bedroom furniture and haul it back for Elizabeth's room. We'll rent a trailer. You see the issue here. I bet that trailer will have more room than the furniture needs.

Do we seek out the dollohuse? Could it possibly still be in good shape? Is it a good idea to give a 4 year old a huge unfinished wooden dollhouse? Will we ever finish it? Or even attempt to finish it?

And most importantly, can I get away with not bringing too much stuff back from my parents?

4 comments:

V said...

Teo looooves his dollhouse--he's made amazing advances in symbolic play since we got it almost 2 years ago--though really he's started playing with it only the last 3 months. I can only imagine what a neurotypical child with a great imagination and language will do with hers!! (Just think--if she won't nap any more--she'll spend an hour or two quietly playing with her dollhouse!)

But don't bring back too much stuff, unless they're all headed under the Christmas tree AND will spare you the expense of shopping for Christmas.

Also--look on craigslist and ebay for secondhand dollhouse stuff.

Rachel et Natalie said...

we got a secondhand Dora dollhouse from a friend. I would not have paid $100.
I love your idea of rescuing your old dollhouse. Good luck with the challenge of not being tempted to "clear" their garage...

Thrift Store Mama said...

I am already laughing at you and the stuff you're going to bring back from your parents. But perhaps it will serve as good motivation for you to clear out the stuff you'll bring back? But I agree a dollhouse is a good idea.

Mom said...

Yes, the doll house is here in Dad's shop awaiting your arrival to give it a new home. Keep thinking and you might come up with some more ideas to help us with our "decluttering." And we also have the fisher-price plastic doll house in the attic so think about an attic adventure with even more toys to take home. Mom