Wednesday, March 18, 2009

O, that way Madness Lies

So the other day, when discussing various room re-arrangements for our daughter's bedroom, my husband says, what if we just put some stuff in storage? Temporarily? Until we had time to deal with it?

Clearly, it's time for Awww Clutter to ramp back up. Because once you go the way of the off-site storage unit, well, there's no hope. It's over, you're done.

I've been using the whole baby excuse, which I think it pretty darn legit. You have a baby, you should get 4 months pass on the decluttering efforts. But, it's been 4 months, stuff is piling up (as can too easily get out of control when small children who have tons of plastic crap are around), and time to get back to it. I started back to work 2 weeks ago, and those first two weeks have left the house a disaster. But we're getting into a groove, I'm working from home for the next month or so, the nanny is here, so I can spare a few minutes to get things done around the house. I need to think if I will restart the 6 things, or how to handle.

So today I tackled a bit of the crazy. When everything is in shambles, and you start clearing things up, do you work on one area at a time? Or, as I did this morning, do you start in one area, and as you put thingd away move from area to area? I think the second strategy works when you are really just trying to do a surface clearing to get some of the big, easy stuff organized and put away. But for true decluttering, I'm a fan of one area at a time. What about you?

3 comments:

Stimey said...

Good conclusion. Anything you put in storage, you probably don't need.

For deep decluttering, I would stick to one area. If need be, have a box for donations, one for trash, and one for putting away in other rooms.

Good luck!

Thrift Store Mama said...

I really like Stimey's idea of three boxes as you declutter. BUT, I would use laundry baskets. A little bit sturdier than boxes and you can see through them. DO NOT use plastic bins that have tops - too easy to put the top on and have it become yet another surface to put clutter on. Good Luck - it's a hard, hard road...

Mom said...

I would get 3 big boxes: One is name Keeper, the other one, give away and the third one (the most important of all) toss away. 1st thing 1st: You toss away what you have in the TA box. Then the room is clear. You solve the arranging problem. Take the GA box and look for a church or Martha's table place to give your stuff and then and finally, you take that keeper box and look for a place for everything on it.

L