Monday, November 4, 2013

rookie mistake

Elizabeth and Andrew are wiley.  And they are very, very attached to anything that belongs to them.  So I've learned, when decluttering, to immediately take things out of the house, to the trash out back, or to hide them really, really well in the trash.

Rich however gets in a hurry and just throws things in the trash.  Then, his rookie mistake - today he asked Elizabeth to scrape her plate into the trash, which resulted in a "HEY!  What is this doing in here?"

I try, at all times, to maintain plausible deniability.  I have no idea, it wasn't me, ask Daddy.  Yep, throwing him under the bus.  That way, when I manage to grab things and push them to the bottom, I'm not a suspect.  So, sadly, nothing discarded.  Almost.

3 comments:

Herself said...

Kids get attached to stuff so this is tricky. For this year my rule was essentially not to touch the kid's things. I'm itching to get at his room!

Laura said...

aaaah! We have the same issue - it mostly has to do with sweets! Sorry kiddos, you are not going to be allowed to hoard the 2 dozen pieces of nasty Made in China in 1992 candy you got at the birthday party. So it goes in the trash, but must be covered up well...

Thrift Store Mama said...

Beezus and Ramona are only attached to a very small number of things. Maybe it's in their genes (my parents hate clutter and stuff as much as I do) or maybe because they like earning money from "selling" stuff more than the actual stuff(they sell either to me or at the co-op sale).