Sunday, November 13, 2011

obsessing over holiday stuff

So yesterday my sister and I went to Target for a few necessary items, and wandered around a bit, too.  And we found some Halloween luminaries, originally priced at $12, marked down to $3.  They were super cute, Smith & Hawken, really nice, and pretty big.  And I sooooo wanted them.  But, I thought about how much Halloween stuff I already have, how this year I never lit any of the candles/luminaries I already own for Halloween until Halloween night itself, and how I just have too much stuff anyway.  It's too much stuff.  Too much.  In addition to getting rod of stuff, I've got to cut down on brining new stuff in.

But I still want them.

4 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

So, it's okay to want them. Totally fine.

I think the Buddhists would say that you have to sit with these feelings and acknowledge them as feelings but not see them as a call to action.

Laurie said...

Resist....

Rachel et Natalie said...

congrats, you won and they will still be there for many years to come at bargain prices after Tksg.

mom said...

I honestly think that you did well. As TSM says, it is a feeling but there is no real need of the item. Meaning, you not only don't need the new item, you can get rid of the old item because you did not use it and you probably won't use it next year.
Now, and remember also that you need to make room for something new to come in. So, if you really think you need the new item then get rid of the old item before the purchase is made.